History of Ferryhill, County Durham

Introduction

  

Population Census

Early History

The Ice Age – Ferryhill Station Gap

Roman Times

Anglo-Saxon Times

Danish Times

Norman Times

Early Settlement

 

Medieval Times

    

The Medieval Village Wall, behind North Street, Ferryhill Village, - to enclose and protect the village

Personal Photography, 2007

  

A collection of charters from the Treasury of Durham relate to Transactions between the church of Durham and its tenants:

  

"Richard, the Prior, the Eustace de Fery, four aches in Fery under 20d, rent."

  

The customary tenures and services under the Prior of Durham:

 

"Thomas, the Prior, to Robert de Fery and his heirs, we grant three oxgangs and one toft and croft, to hold under 10/- rent.  He shall work four days on each year with one horse harrow, and then she shall have his meat once in the day, and a sheaf of oats in the eventide and he shall mow four days in harvest and during those four days shall find one man to look to the mowers…"

  

The Court Rolls record frequent orders to tenants “not to transgress in word or deed, or with staves, arrows, or knives”

 

“1354 – Thomas, fil. Richard de Fery, leashes to John, Prior of Durham, all his coals and seams in the north part of the village of Fery, viz. in those lands which lie betwixt the Kings High Street from Durham to Fery South, and the path called Hopesiderode East, for 30 years, with licence to sink pits and drifts for carrying off water, and with sufficient way-leaves, and the Prior bargains that, during the same term, Thomas and his heirs shall have ½ cart load of coals every week in which coals shall be won and worked.”

The Reformation of the Church to the End of the 18th Century

  

  • "Q32, i1 - Christopher Buchon late of Darlington, co. Durham, lab., on 24 April 1557 with force and arms broke and entered the close of Richard Laxe at Ferryhill and stole a web of linen cloth worth 7s."

    

Durham Quarter Sessions Rolls

Available on Microfilche at Durham County Record Office (Look for Q/S)

Fraser, C.M. "The Surtees Society - Durham Quarter Session Rolls.  1471 - 1625", Athenoeum Press Ltd, 1991

Available at Palace Green Library, Durham University.

  
  • "Q45, i3 - Laurence Wilkynson of Ferryhill, co. Durham, on 24 June 1599 assaulted Robert Kyrkhouse of Church Merrington at Ferryhill, striking him with a dagger held in his right hand on the left side of his head and putting him in bodily fear." 

  

Durham Quarter Sessions Rolls

Available on Microfilche at Durham County Record Office (Look for Q/S)

Fraser, C.M. "The Surtees Society - Durham Quarter Session Rolls.  1471 - 1625", Athenoeum Press Ltd, 1991

Available at Palace Green Library, Durham University.

  

  • "Q58, i18 - Thomas Atkinson late of Thinford, co. Durham, lab., on 12 Dec 1602 broke into the close of James Kay at Ferryhill and stole a wether worth 10d." 
  • "Q60, i3 - Whereas the statute of 13 Richard II forbade the keeping of greyhounds by artificers, labourers and other laymen not having land worth 40s, together with ferrets, cords or other engines to take of destroy deer, hares, coneys and the like under pain of imprisonment for one year, John Wilkinson of Ferryhill, yeo., and John Dawson of the same, lab., being laity (etc.,) on 20 Dec 1603 at Ferryhill did use ferret and net to take and destroy coneys" 
  • "Q60, i9 - Thomas R[...], late of Little Chilton, co. Durham, gen., John Highley of Great Chilton [...], George Morton  late of Little Chilton, yeo., Michael Dikkinson, late of the same, yeo., and [...], yeo., riotously assembled on 20 Dec 1603 at Ferryhill and injured John Wilkinson and John Dawson" 
  • "Q60, i14 - Laurence Wilkinson late of Ferryhill, co. Durham, yeo., on - Dec 1603 at Ferryhill was a common brawler and disturber of the King's peace" 

  

Durham Quarter Sessions Rolls

Available on Microfilche at Durham County Record Office (Look for Q/S)

Fraser, C.M. "The Surtees Society - Durham Quarter Session Rolls.  1471 - 1625", Athenoeum Press Ltd, 1991

Available at Palace Green Library, Durham University.

  

Inscription of the "Lares" poem, back garden wall of Ferryhill Manor House

  

How happily seated those Lares are,

Who feed on prospect and fresh air,

Dine moderately every day,

And walk their supper time away.

  

"1615, Sept. 18th.  These Arms granted by Richard StGeorge, Norroy King of Arms to Lawrence Wilkinson of Ferryhill, in the County of Durham".

George Allen, "Collectanea Dunelmensla. No 12" 

Available to read at Durham Cathedral Library

Inscription of the "Lares" poem, back garden wall of Ferryhill Manor House

Photography by Darrell Nixon, 2006

  

  • "Q106, i19 - Thomas Bower of Sunderland [Bridge], co. Durham, lab., and Richard Hutchinson of the same, lab., on 8 Oct 1623 at Ferryhill stole 6 pecks of unwinnowed wheat worth 10d from Thomas Kirkhouse. they appeared at the bar of the Court and admitted the charge.  It was judged that they be whipped in the next open market at Durham" 
  • "Q107, i15 - Timothy Yonger late of Durham City, lab., and Robert Yonger late of the same, lab., on 29 Mar 1624 at Ferryhill stole a goose worth 4d. from a person unknown. It was judged that they be whipped in the next open market at Durham" 

Durham Quarter Sessions Rolls

Available on Microfilche at Durham County Record Office (Look for Q/S)

Fraser, C.M. "The Surtees Society - Durham Quarter Session Rolls.  1471 - 1625", Athenoeum Press Ltd, 1991

Available at Palace Green Library, Durham University.

  

  • Mortality -"1646. Nov 24, John Gray, of Ferryhill, farmer, was shoot through the bowels by Robbers, upon Woodholme Moore, bur. (buried) being the morrow after the hurt" 

  

Merrington Parish Register

Available on Microfilche at Durham County Record Office (Look for EP/Mer).

  

  • Mortality -"1686. July 16 - Elizabeth Brown, of Sunderland, by the Bridge, was buryed - she was suddenly slaine with a sled in hay time"

  

Merrington Parish Register

Available on Microfilche at Durham County Record Office (Look for EP/Mer).

   

Morgan's Farm, built around 1729 - 1732

  

Morgan's Farm, built around 1729 - 1732

Photography by Darrell Nixon, 2006

 
  • Mortality -"1749. Aug 22. Luke Hudson killed in a combat near high-butcher-race, bur. (buried)"

  

Merrington Parish Register

Available on Microfilche at Durham County Record Office (Look for EP/Mer).

 

The 19th Century

  

The following list gives an idea of the occupancies of the people of Ferryhill during the nineteenth century:-

Rev. Bruce M.A. – Incumbent; William Cowburn – Post Master; William Elliot – Machine Maker; James French – Blacksmith; John Oysten – Brewer; John Parker – Miller (of Ferryhill Windmill?); Joseph Robinson – Builder; James Sample – Saddler; George Scott – Miner borer.

9 Boot and Show makers; 4 Butchers; 8 Grocers; 9 Tailors; 21 Farmers; 3 Joiners.

 

Inns and Taverns

Bay Horse; Bee Hive; Black Bull; Bridge Inn; Clarence and Northern Railway tavern; Greyhound; King’s Head; Post Boy; Red Lion; White Horse; Saddler’s Arms; Wheatsheaf; Three Tuns; Riddler’s Arms.

 

“…arrived at 11 o-clock on October 19 at the house of Mr Arrowsmith, where after being robed, he proceeded attended by his chaplains and choir to perform the solemn ceremony, at the conclusion of which, prayers were read by Rev. Thomas Ebdon, Vicar of Merrington, in whose parish the chapel was situated. The right Reverend prelate then preached an excellent sermon from Matthew, Chapter VIII, verse 16 and 17.  After the ceremony was one the Bishop proceeded to Mainsforth, the hospitable main of Robert Surtees, Esq., where an elegant, cold collation awaited his Lordship’s arrival”

 

  • Click here to see an original sketch of Ferryhill (Market Place?) c. 1844

Link to Northumberland County Council Archives

 

The Town Hall, Ferryhill Town Centre, circ. 1960

  

Town Hall and Market Centre

Author's Own Collection

  

The 20th Century to the Present Time

 

Dean & Chapter Colliery, circ. 1960

  

Dean & Chapter Colliery, c. 1950 - 60

Author's Own Collection

  

Commemoration Monument dedicated to William Watson who died saving two boys from a fire in Dean & Chapter Colliery (1906) - Ferryhill Town Hall garden

  

Monument in the Town Hall Garden, dedicated to William Walton who sacrificed his life whilst saving two boys at Dean Bank, 1906.

Photography by Darrell Nixon, 2006

For more information about Ferryhill when it reached the Millennium, Click Here